Saturday, January 11, 2014

Weigh in and Week In Review

I am pleased that I've lost another pound as of today.  I would be lying if I said that I'm thrilled with it, because I was naturally hoping for more, but it's better than a gain.  So I now have 5 lbs to go this month to hit the goal I set for myself.  I will need to pick up the pace if that's going to happen!

This week was kind of crazy because we got hit with a bunch of snow and freezing cold temps.  It was -15 below, but with the windchill it was "feeling like" -40+ below in areas.  On Monday, the University was closed, so I got another day off.  My youngest son was supposed to go back to school, but they closed, too.  On Tuesday, his school closed for the 2nd day, but WIU opened at noon.  That was a weird day.  It worked out just fine because I had new international students to check in.  I kept reassuring them that it wasn't always this cold in Illinois!  I hope they believe me. 

I went to the Rec Center every night this week (except Monday - they were closed) and did at least 2 miles on the elliptical and at least 6 miles on the recumbent bike.  Both of those hurt my knee, but if I walk a lap or two around the track afterward, it gets better.  On Thursday, I was able to buy my friend her Wellness Pass to the Rec as her graduation gift.  She will get a 6 week membership and I hope she joins up after trying it.  She worked out with me on Thursday and Friday.  It was nice to have someone to meet there because otherwise, I may have talked myself into going home.

We both commented on the fact that both of those machines make our feet go numb after a certain amount of usage.  I thought it was just me, so I just dealt with it (and was annoyed by it), but since she said they did it to her, too, I wondered if anyone else has this problem.  I'll have to Google that and see what's up.  I tend to move my feet on the elliptical or arc machine pedals, so I have to watch that I don't get them smashed to the edges because that can hurt, too. 

It's funny because there are several TVs in front of several of the cardio machines at the Rec and I always get the machine that is in front of the TV that is showing CNN.  I've become quite informed about the Dennis Rodman/North Korea prisoner controversy AND the Chris Christie Bridge Scandal.  The amount of time that CNN devotes to hashing and rehashing these things just floors me. 

One night I also watched (for the first time ever) an episode of "Sister Wives."  ICK.  I'm sorry, but I do not agree with polygamy and I think it is wrong.  But the women in the show seem to make it work in their lives and that's fine.  I respect their choice, but I would prefer to not watch it.  However, the show was like a car accident, where I didn't want to watch it, but yet I couldn't look away.  The one thing I couldn't figure out, is where do these people get their money???  None of them seemed to work and it appears they all have nice homes, nice clothes, etc.  The episode I saw, they were nearing completion of their "family house" in Vegas.  So if they don't work, how are they building this house? At one point, the dad said there were 22 members of his family, so that's going to be a BIG house.  Or apartment complex.  I don't know what it is. 

This weekend the rest of the students are returning to WIU, and classes begin Monday.  I'm taking 2 more graduate classes this semester, so my time is going to get a little more crazy.  I've already had one of the professors, so I think I know what to expect in his class.  The other one will be new, so I don't know what his will be like.  Hopefully I can keep up!

Oh, the other new thing for this week was that I tried juicing!  No, not steroids, but fruit/veggie juicing.  The first concoction I made was called "Mean Green" (you can Google it) and it consisted of 1 cucumber, 2 handfuls of spinach, 1/2 lemon, 2 apples, 4 stalks of celery, and a little bit of ginger root.  OMG, it was icky.  I did not care for it at all.  It was a bit too "green" tasting for me.  I think I could experiment and get rid of the bad taste, but I haven't been so inclined yet.  The other one I've fiddled with was one my youngest brother suggested, and it was delicious!  I used some frozen strawberries and blueberries, 1 apple, 2-3 carrots, some pineapple, an orange, and a lemon.  VERY GOOD! 

So that's been my week.  It's been kind of stressful, so I'm glad it's over.  I'm really happy that my friend is working out, too.  I don't care what people do to get their sweat on, just that they're doing it.  Find something you love, and it's easy to stay committed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it!