Saturday, January 4, 2014

Weigh in and Crazy Day

Stepped on the scale today and was pleased to see that I was down 1 lb.  Then I was disappointed, "ONLY 1 LB???"  Well, better than a gain, I guess.  But then I remembered that that was from what I weighed on Wednesday, New Years Day.  So from Wednesday morning to Saturday morning, I lost a pound!  OK!  That's a lot happier!

So yesterday was completely crazy.  Everything was going pretty smooth until 1:15ish.  A lady that works in my department returned from lunch and informed me that my rear driver's side tire was completely flat.  Ugh!  Being the Princess that I am, I called Mike.  The bad thing was that he was mandated for overtime and didn't get home until 12:30 in the afternoon.  He had just gotten in bed and was falling asleep when I called.  He said he would head to Macomb to change it for me around 4p.  I felt horrible, knowing he would be so tired.  I know HOW to change a tire, but I'm not sure where to safely put the jack, and I'm terrified of putting it in the wrong place and the car falling off of it.  I don't even like being around jacked up cars when Mike has done it.  It just makes me incredibly nervous.

So I was telling a friend about this, and she pointed out that I could call the campus police and one of their parking agents could air it up.  Ok, worth a shot.  So I called and one of the guys met me and aired up my tire.  Yay!  I decided to go back down at 4p to make sure it was still holding air.  I texted Mike my plan and he approved. 

At 4p, I got on the elevator in my building to go down and check my tire.  Working at a public university, I see many weird things when the students are present.  Right now, they are still on break, so it's only faculty and staff that are on campus.  When I got on the elevator, I noticed something lying on the floor.  It was a still-wrapped Cornish game hen.  I didn't even know what to think.  I just chuckled and went about my business.  Luckily the tire was holding air, so I called Mike and told him to keep sleeping.  The game hen was still there when I went back to my office.  A few inquiries to those on my floor produced nothing.  We had a bona fide mystery that remains unsolved.  The game hen in question was gone, though, when we left for the day at 4:30.  No one knows where it went!

I drove home, worried about my tire the entire way.  Thankfully I made it just fine and it's still holding air.  Yay!  However, Alex got off work and needed to wash his one and only uniform for work because he was scheduled to work today, too.  The water lines to the washer were frozen.  Ugh!  Mike worked and worked and worked on them but could not get them unfrozen.  So I kind of spot cleaned his clothes and threw them in the dryer.  Luckily it was pretty clean (he works at an auto parts store), so no biggie. 

Then my mom texted me around 9p to see if we had power.  It was super cold last night and windy.  Yes, we had power.  She said no one on their street had any and asked me to call Ameren to report it.  So I did. The lady asked for a callback number, and since I do not have Mom's cell memorized, I gave her my cell.  Turns out Mom lost power because a tree limb fell across the power and cable lines.  The power company got things going for them about 2 hours later around 11p.  No one was hurt in the process and everyone got their electricity back again.  Yay!

I finally went to bed really late, around midnight or so, and read for about an hour.  I was awakened at 7:05 a.m. with an auto-call from Ameren to inform me that my power had been restored.  OMG...how helpful is that??????  Next time, I will write down my mom's cell number so they can call her and tell her that she has power again.  I appreciate their helpfulness, but not at 7a on a Saturday!  I like to be sleeping at that time.  Now 8a would have been more acceptable for me.  If anyone from Ameren is reading this, please make a note.  Some of us like to sleep a little on Saturdays.

Today has been pretty quiet and I'm glad.  Yesterday was nuts enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it!