Saturday, April 12, 2014

Heading in the right direction

Ok, since we last talked I celebrated a birthday, so I'm a little older but not any wiser.  I hope that part kicks in soon because I could use some wisdom.  Last week I gained 2.25 lbs.  I didn't work out as much and I wasn't as careful with my eating, so I wasn't surprised.  However I got my act back together and I have lost 3 lbs this week. 

One of the things that really helped me was to call my endocrinologist and schedule an appointment to see the actual doctor.  I've been working with the nurse practitioner, and while I feel NPs play an important role in health care, there are just some times when it's better to talk to the doctor.  This is one.  I also requested they fax my last set of labs to me so I can see the numbers for myself.  The NP had told me they were all fine in early March.  Well, one of the levels was actually low and could be causing this weight to not come off.  I see my endocrinologist on April 25. 

In preparation for the appointment, I asked Dietitian Jennifer to write a letter to her that explains what we've been doing.  She agreed and gave me the letter at my appointment on Wednesday.  It basically outlines the changes we have implemented and points out that I've lost 1 lb since late January.  That's not very impressive for the work I've put into this.  It's absolutely maddening, to be honest!  I hope the endocrinologist is open to listening and will help me figure out what's wrong with my body.  The previous endo that I was seeing at that office has retired, so I've not met this lady yet. 

I also cashed in my certificate for a training program that I won in the Biggest Loser contest.  On Tuesday, I spoke with the trainer creating it at length about my goals, how often I wanted to work out, etc.  He is working on it and will let me know when it's ready.  Hopefully this week. 

We're coming into the final weeks of this semester and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.  I have lots of homework waiting for me, as usual.  I can't wait for Spring 2014 semester to end so I can enjoy a few weeks of vacation.  July 1 I'll start again with a 4-week summer class.  It will be stressful, but I'll be ready!

Hope everyone in this area is able to get out and enjoy the weather!  It's 75 degrees out right now which is a lovely change after the horribly cold winter we just came out of.  I think I'm going to take my textbook outside and sit and read. 

How has your week been going?  Successes?  Failures?  If you've hit a bump, let it just be a bump and do not let it derail you.  Think of your progress and the good you are doing for your body.  The number on the scale isn't where I want it to be, but working out and eating right are more important for my overall health.  It is for yours, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it!