Sunday, July 3, 2011

Stepping outside the comfort zone

In order to lose this weight permanently, I have to change my lifestyle.  Notice I didn't say, "I have to go on a diet."  As Richard Simmons says, "The first three letters of diet are D-I-E, and I don't wanna die!"  Neither do I, so I'm making a lifestyle change.

As with any change, it's not easy.  I'm having to learn new ways of doing things.  There are some foods that will just have no room in my new life.  And I'm told that my taste buds will change and there are some foods that I will no longer wish to eat.  I know that this is true because I've drank diet soda for several years and the regular stuff is gross now.  I just have to get to that point where the greasy, fat-filled burgers/pizzas are unappealing instead of what I'm craving.

In order to make this lifestyle change, I have to learn to eat new foods.  This terrifies me for some reason.  I don't know how to prepare some foods, especially veggies.  I'm also afraid I won't like it and I'll waste money.  Or maybe I'll be a little hungry. 

Instead of being afraid, I know that I need to embrace the change and view it as an OPPORTUNITY.  A chance to experiment, find my inner Bobby Flay, Rachel Ray, or Guy Fieri (not Paula Deen, I think she's a heart attack in a pan).  Instead of thinking, "Gosh, what if I don't like it?" I should be thinking, "Gosh, what if this is delicious and I'm missing out???"

To help overcome my "fear" of new foods, I'm going to try something new at least once a week.  And I'm going to tell you all about it!  Win-win!  I will try a new food, and I'll get something to blog about, too!

I'm about to embark on my first experiment tonight!  I bought some ground turkey and I'm going to get all Bobby Flay on it and make turkey burgers.  Come back tomorrow to hear how that went!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it!