Sunday, June 8, 2014

Stumbling Blocks

I seem to be unable to accomplish things in my life without encountering stumbling blocks.  Instead of becoming angry or upset, I (mostly) laugh because it is so crazy sometimes.  For instance, getting started on this surgical process, I encountered a stumbling block a few weeks ago that sort of became a comedy of errors.

I called the bariatric center on May 28 (Wednesday) to find out if they had everything they needed so I could schedule my first consultation so that I can finally know if this is going to be an option for me.  (Although the Weight Loss Clinic people said it was, I won't believe it until the surgical people tell me it is.)  The nice young lady I spoke to dropped the bomb that my primary care doctor refused to fill out the (required) referral form and wrote on it that he was leaving, so I should have my new PCP fill it out.  Um, he's what?!?!?!?! 

So I frantically called my PCP's office, only to speak to some bitter older woman who unkindly informed me a letter was sent (I didn't receive) and that the information was published in the newspaper.  I responded that I lived 30 miles away and did not read that town's newspaper!  I don't even read the newspaper in my own town!  Geesh. 

Then I began to frantically try to find another doctor.  I called the first one who said he was taking new patients.  Yes, they were taking new patients, but he's booked up until the end of July.  Ok, let's try another one.  The next one was also taking new patients...BUT...only on the first of the month.  What?  The nice receptionist said I had to call back on Monday, June 2 - since the 1st was a Sunday - and if I was one of the first 20 callers, I would be accepted.  Wow, I love radio call-ins as much as the next person, but I'm not going to play a game to see if I can get into a doctor.  I'm sure that method works great for them, but I do not care to participate.  Is that how they schedule appointments, too?  "Gee, sorry to hear you are sick, but she will only treat you on the 5th of the month.  If you're the 9th caller, you can get in to see her, PLUS you'll win a meet and greet to see the band backstage!"  No. 

However she did tell me about another doctor who was accepting patients.  I called that office and could get in to see that doctor's nurse practitioner the following Wednesday.  I'LL TAKE IT!  Then I checked my insurance online to make sure that doctor was covered.  She was not.  I called the company to be sure, and apparently she was.  Whew!  So they changed my PCP to the new lady and I was set.  Except for the part where I had to convince the new nurse practitioner to fill out the referral form. 

I dreaded my appointment and was so nervous.  I didn't know what I was going to do if she wouldn't fill it out.  The day finally came and I headed off to my appointment, not knowing what to expect.  Of anything, I truly did not expect to be there for two hours.  But I was.  I waited 45 minutes to be called back, and then I was with the nurse practitioner for almost an hour, going over my history.  WOWSERS!

Basically, I am extremely healthy.  My blood pressure was "amazing" according to the nurse that checked me in.  I'd just had a bunch of lab work done and we went over that.  My A1C, which checks your last 3 months blood sugar, was good so I have no pre-diabetes lurking, and no diabetes.  My cholesterol was slightly high, as was my bad cholesterol.  My good cholesterol was also high, which is a good thing.  My vitamin D was low, which she said was to be expected after winter.

We finally discussed the referral and she was reluctant to fill it out because my BMI was 39.25 or something.  It must be 40 or higher to have surgery without any co-morbidities.  Since I'm so dang healthy, I have NO co-morbidities.  She finally agreed and said it would be sent in, along with her notes from our visit, by Monday evening. 

I'm hoping to call the surgical center this coming week to get my initial consultation scheduled so that I'll finally feel like I'm getting started!  I'm not a patient person and this is making me crazy.  I've also had second thoughts on whether this is right for me.  I get scared thinking of what changes will happen before and after surgery.  Basically, I'm just doing what I do when it comes to big decisions like this and I'm having doubts.  It is a scary, scary thing to think about.  And it's life-changing.  I'm not backing out on the consultation, because I trust these people to tell me if this is the right thing for me.  They have been in practice for a long time and they are the experts.  I continue with my research and talking to those who have had surgery.  Some days I'm convinced it's right, and other days I have doubts.  I think this is normal.

I've already had one family member who is not thrilled with my decision.  There may be others, but they haven't voiced their opinion to me yet.  That's ok.  Not everyone IS going to agree with this.  Just like I don't agree with all of their decisions in their life.  However, I'm the one who has to live this life and they are the ones who have to live their own lives.  We're all entitled to our own opinions, and I'm ok with that, as long as people are respectful about it.

In other news, I got the syllabus for my next grad class.  It actually starts June 30 and ends July 25.  So I have 4 weeks in which to cram 16 weeks of learning.  He sent the syllabus early so that we could get an early start, and I'm taking advantage of it! 

We also started the summer exercise challenge in my little town and I'm excited about it!  I hope to take part in some of the longer bike rides they have and some of the other events.  I'm going to have to get a newspaper to find out when things are being held, though.  Haha!

Does your town offer any type of exercise program?  Ours is free thanks to a grant.  If not, have you thought about getting one started?  Do you think people would take advantage?  I'm always surprised at how few take advantage of this one.  It's rather sad, actually. 

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there...Sounds like you made it through the challenges set before you. Nothing worth having comes easy. I admire your determination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most people would have given up with all that run around. Your determined spirit will serve you well throughout this experience. So happy you finally got an appointment and the referral! What a blessing to be so wonderfully healthy with the biggies.. You're blessed, Angie. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it!