Sunday, May 25, 2014

Decision Made

After a great deal of research and discussion, I made the decision this week to begin the process for weight loss surgery.  This was not an easy decision by any means.  This is not something I rushed into, either.  This is not something that everyone is going to agree with, however, this is something I feel is right for me.

I have been trying to lose weight for many years, with minimal success.  I've tried every diet under the sun, too.  I can exercise until the cows come home, but this weight just will not come off now.  Age?  Metabolism?  I don't know but I'm tired of getting no results. 

Weight loss surgery is a TOOL.  It is a very powerful, irreversible tool.  There will be work to be done leading up to the surgery, and there will be work to be done every single day after the surgery.  It is not a magic fix.  They don't do the surgery and then I can eat whatever I want and lose, lose, lose.  I still have to eat healthy and exercise.  That will never stop.  There will never come a day when I can say, "I am done." and then start eating junk.  I will have good days and I will have bad days, just like everyone else.  This will not make my marriage perfect, my job perfect, my kids perfect, or any other aspect of my life perfect.  I will still have disagreements with my husband.  Things at work will stress me out.  My kids will continue to make me nuts.  My life will still be just as crazy at is it now, but I will be seeing success on the scale if I'm doing the work. 

This will not be a fast process, either, and I may not even be approved by the doctor.  I have to see a team, similar to that which I worked with at the weight loss clinic.  I will have to meet with a nurse practitioner, nutritionist, physical therapist, and psychologist.  There will be classes to take and support groups to attend.  I plan to continue to research and read as much as I can about this.  I've found some great forums online and am currently lurking, reading.  I have a friend who just had the surgery and I'm talking to her to gain her fresh perspective, and a friend who had the surgery 5 1/2 years ago and has kept a great deal of weight off.  I have different questions for each of these ladies and they are kind enough to share their experiences with me.

If you don't agree with my decision, that's ok.  I'm the one that has to live with it, not you, so it's ok.  Only my husband knows exactly what I've been going through because he's watched me suffer, struggle, and he's been the one to wipe up my tears when I step on the scale and have to face a gain when there should be a loss.  He knows and he supports this decision.  As my biggest supporter and best friend, his support is the only one I really need. 

I've submitted the paperwork to the Bariatric Center at Memorial Hospital in Springfield and I'm just waiting for them to schedule my first appointment.  Of course, you know I will be keeping you all up to date on this process.  I have a lot of goals that I want to accomplish and I think this is my best opportunity for reaching those goals.  I hope you will all stick along for the ride.  I promise, it's going to get pretty exciting!  There are going to be more 5Ks, some 10Ks, half marathons, maybe a full marathon, some obstacle course runs, and maybe even some triathlons!  Yes, those are all things I want to do!  And I will do them! 

Are you ready?  I am.

1 comment:

  1. Proud of you Angie. That wasn't an easy decision, I'm sure. You said it best, it's a tool--and it's been a valuable tool for many people. I love what you wrote about your husband being your best friend and biggest supporter--that's beautiful. You don't owe anyone an apology and you certainly don't deserve criticism. You're making a brave decision to dramatically improve your life. Love your list of goals. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it!