Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Heroes and Veggies

Tonight's CrossFit workout was what we call a "Hero Workout."  They are created and named in honor of a service man/woman that gave their life for our country.  They are hard.  They suck.  But it is an honor and privilege to do them.  As I told the class tonight, they made the ultimate sacrifice, so the least we can do is make a small sacrifice in the gym by doing this workout.

I have a problem with negative self-talk when I do these hard workouts.  It gives me time to think and I get upset with myself because of what I can't do.  But that also drives me to go harder.  I know I am capable of more, but there's too much bulk to move around very fast.  And I know I am WAY harder on myself than anyone could ever dream of being.  I expect perfection and get angry when I don't give it. 

The details of the workout.... 3 rounds, for time:  50 sumo deadlift high-pulls; 25 burpees (not able to do, subbed 25 squats and 25 push ups); 25 box jumps; run 400 meters.  I finished in 29:16.  I'm still mad at myself. 

I've been trying to expand my food horizons with steamed veggies.  I hate vegetables, except the ones that really aren't good for me - like corn!  Love corn, but corn is actually a grain, and grains are of the devil.  Monday night I had a bag of steamed veggies that included roasted potatoes (also evil), peppers (ick), and snap peas.  Oh my stars, I hate snap peas!  They were awful, but I ate them all anyway.  I reminded myself what Andy and Kristy have told me - food is fuel. 

Tonight, I had a different bag of veggies.  I didn't pay a lot of attention to what was in there.  I knew cauliflower (ick), carrots (ick), and something else.  I was exhausted (still am) when I got home from the gym, so I just threw the bag in the microwave.  As it cooked, I could smell this horrid odor that was vaguely familiar.  I was too tired to really process it though.  I finally got up and got the bag out and opened it up.  Oh!  The smell was atrocious!  I checked the list of veggies -- those stupid snap peas AGAIN!

I've been sitting here with the bowl beside me for over an hour now.  I'm hungry, but I have to eat my veggies before I can have the chicken that Mike grilled for me.  *sigh*

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see no grains and dairy. Keep that up and great things will happen! Taste bud structure WILL change and those once atrocious smells and "gross" tastes begin to smell and taste heavenly. Why do you think I go through avocados like I haven't eaten in a decade? They now taste fantastical. <-- see that? I had to make up a word for them because they're so freakin' amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I appreciate it!